Your beautifully landscaped exteriors give you a place to relax, play and de-stress. What you may not realize is that landscaping can add almost 30% to your home’s value says landscape economist John Harris. And when you get ready to sell your home, every dollar you’ve invested in landscaping will provide a +9% to +50% return!
Incorporating landscaping stones and crushed rock into your yard adds interest, color and texture. These inanimate parts of your landscape are sometimes referred to as ‘hardscape.’ They are used to create a framework and structure to highlight the trees, plants and unique features like ponds or waterfalls in your yard. But compared to manufactured materials like concrete, brick or pavers, crushed rock and stones add a more organic, softer feel to your landscape.
The variety of landscape rock and stone available provides you with many landscaping options.
- Want to make your yard more inviting? Consider using river rocks for a casual, relaxing setting.
- Have a shady area that needs brightening? Incorporate clean chip to contrast with the darker soil.
- Interested in a natural garden border? Small quarry rocks provide a visually interesting backdrop and discourage weed growth.
Landscape rock and stones are durable and long-lasting, so take time and talk with experts to find the right combination and placement that will enhance your yard. The benefits of adding stone and rock to your landscape are long-lasting, and –
- You’ll have less soil erosion, especially on sloped areas,
- Less fungi growth compared to organic material like mulch,
- And they provide good drainage and stability in areas where water pools or causes washout.